Acupuncture can treat a wide range of ailments, a few that may be beneficial to your pets include:
- Pain relief - Their are certain acupuncture points that will stimulate the release of opioid like factors to relieve pain for 24-48 hours. Therefore, acupuncture can be performed in conjunction or in place of having to give your pet a pain medication after an injury or surgery. This is a great alternative to pets that are hard to pill or pets that have unwanted side effects to pain medications.
- Kidney disease - There are specific acupuncture points; when electrostimulated, assist in treating kidney disease. This is done by neuromodulating the spinal nerves that supply the kidneys. These points are recommended for any pet with decreased kidney function and have been scientifically proven to work! Additional acupuncture points can also be used to assist in treating various clinical signs that pets with kidney disease may experience (i.e vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite).
- Epilepsy - Acupuncture has been scientifically proven to control seizures when performed on a regular basis.
- Gastrointestinal disease - Acupuncture works in controlling the symptoms of various acute and chronic GI diseases.
- Intervertebral Disc disease - Acupuncture can be used to prevent your pet from needing back surgery or to speed up the recovery process after back surgery. Colorado State University actually recommends and
sees a higher prognosis and return to full function with acupuncture + medical management vs. back surgery in pets presenting with the inability to move their back legs.
- Skin issues - Acupuncture is used to increase the immune systems defense system to assist in healing. Example of skin issues that would benefit from acupuncture include lick granuloma, wounds, otits externa (ear infections), allergies, lacerations and skin infections.
- Muscle tension, strains or sprains - Acupuncture can help with primary muscle strains as well as compensatory pain; such as tense neck muscles due to a shift in weight from hip pain.
- Chronic bronchitis - Acupuncture is used to neuromodulate the spinal nerves that supply the lungs. Treatment also includes treating neck and chest muscle pain and tension that may occur when pets with chronic respiratory issues that are excessively using those muscles to assist in breathing.
- Wellness - Acupuncture can be used in a healthy pet to keep them well balanced and to offer extra immune support.